The Experience Of Solitude
Damn, I can't believe it is June already! We are half way through this year! 6 months away from being 2009, 6 months away from reaching my 5 year anniversary at my company, and 7 months away from being 25 yrs old. Yes, time is definitely flying this year. Even after all the crazy things that has happened thus far, I am still enjoying this year nonetheless. I am still excited about what other blessings are coming my way. This month's quote is about Solitude. This is truly right up my alley, because I am a person that is use to secluding myself from the world to gather my mental and concentrate on my spiritual. James Russell Lowell 's words are chosen for this month.


"Solitude is a needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character." - James Russell Lowell



I'm going to have to retaliate to the ladder part of Lowell's words and use the words of John Milton, "Solitude sometimes is the best society." I honestly think that society is at times detrimental to the character, especially in today's age. However, it is that solitude in our personal lives that can lift us above and beyond our everyday problems and the camped box that society tries to place us in. I try to take as much time as I possibly can to just sit and think about my life; past, present and future. Where have I been that has gotten me to the place I am today? Where will the place I am today lead me to in my future? I sometimes sit at Memorial Park at my favorite bench right in the middle of the park and just stare into the skies and think. I watch the people bicycling and running around the park, the kids playing, the families grilling food and it all uplifts my senses. It is there that I begin to appreciate the simple things in life and thank the Creator for all things.

Sometimes I let the things in my everyday life swallow me whole. I get lost in other people's problems as well as my own problems. I get so caught up that I forget to recognize my possible blessings in life. When I take those mental vacations, it is there that I become more clear, wise and mature in my thinking. Such deliberate, intense and uninterrupted thought brought clarity to the perception I held of myself and my life.

It's funny how people pick up on positive vibes. I go on my mental vacations; returning rejuvenated with my maturity level at an all time high and I subconsciously give people around me permission to do the same. They recognize the changes within me. All of my days are not peaceful nonetheless, but the more older I become the less and less I worry about those irrelevant things. I've mastered the task of letting go. Something so simple, but yet so difficult. Thank you Lord for giving me the power and determination to do so. I let Him do his job with no complaints. He's better at it anyway, loll.

Solitude at times has to be forced when the road gets rough, and that is okay. Do not fight it; sit down and think. Let your mind kick into overdrive and become trapped into the realms you've never explored before. It'll be well worth it, trust me.

I may have to take a trip back to the park this month. Maybe a couple of times, to just sit at my favorite bench and let the rejuvenation begin.
6 Responses
  1. Mizrepresent Says:

    Gurl there is absolutely nothing wrong with a little self-meditation and self-medication...that's what taking out that much needed time is for. Everything must rest awhile to regain it's energy, build strength. It would be unwise to deplete our sources, you see the body and the spirit is so ingenious, it will shut down and shut out the world when it needs too...now all we have to do is listen.


  2. Truth spoken!

    I don't think we take enough time to just BE.

    Random-one of my favorite jazz songs is 'Solitude' by Duke Ellington. AND one quote in my journal that's my favorite (not sure now WHERE I got it from, though since it's been in there for years) says, "In the solitude of your mind are the answers to all questions about life. You must take time to listen."
    ;)


  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. Yes both of you ladies are right, all one has to do is listen. There has been some things I've been ignoring for quite some time too. Damn shame, loll.

    I will have to check out that Duke Ellington song.


  5. Tamar Says:

    Spoken perfectly!



Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • The Lovies

    Love, Relationships, Lust & Sex

    Love, Relationships, Lust & Sex
    Check out my 2nd Blog. (Click the pic)