BET Awards - T. Nicole's Review

I've never done a review on the BET Awards before. I've always been disappointed with the show to be honest. I fairly enjoyed this year though. It wasn't too ghetto. Well, aside from Keyshia Coles lovely family. *Sigh* I won't even go there.




Usher was the opening performance for the 2008 BET Awards. Let's just say; he's getting old. Usher is not the same performer that he use to be. I think every since Chris Brown hit the scene Usher's torch was put out. Love In This Club is my song, but I'd much rather have heard it in the club than to see Usher perform it.


D.L. Hughley was the host this year. He's no Monique or Steve Harvey; that's for sure. I wasn't amused at all. I think he's only funny when he curses. Maybe that's it. I thought I was tripping when he called Marvin Sapp, Warren Sapp. I thought maybe I had the man's name wrong all this time. I'm not hating though, D.L. is alright. He's just my personal least favorite King of Comedy.





I must say J. Hud looked GREAT. I caught her new video too that was premiered. The song has to grow on me though. Or maybe I wasn't listening, because I was blinded by her beauty. This woman can get it every freakin' day and 7 times on Sunday! Her segment with Terrance Howard was cute. I like him too; he's a charmer.
Hey, call me a groupie, but I love me some Chris Brown. He is a cutie and the boy can sing and dance his ass off! I knew he would win though; that was a given.
He's getting too grown though. All this fully clothed sex on the stage! Ciara looked good though. I wonder how Rihanna felt about this right here. She seemed to be cool with it. I'm sure she was singing Take A Bow in her head way before she even performed it. As usual though, I loved Chris Brown's performance. He killed it!


Texas is in the building! I was so happy that UGK and Outkast won this award. Almost brought a tear to my eye. I always enjoy seeing my Texas boys shining on stage. This was especially touching, because it was in honor of Pimp C; R.I.P. I grew up with UGK banging in the trunk of whatever car I was in. So yessir it's most definitely UGK 4 Life!


T-Pain looked a hot mess in this get up. I have to give him his props though. Between him and Lil' Wayne; a song just wasn't a hit in 2008 without either one of them on it. 2008 was definitely their year. I'm glad Kanye West won an award or he would've been bitching as usual. You know what though? He seems more humble in spirit. So congrats to Kanye; the king??? Hm.

A. Keys!! Either I've been sleeping on her or she's been eating some healthy down south food, because baby's hips were ridiculously thick! Mica likes! Happy she won and all that good stuff. We all knew she would. Her performance was awesome! She brought my favorite hips on stage with her! SWV, TLC and EnVogue! I haven't seen those ladies in a long time! They all looked good too! I'm not sure about T-Boz and Chili, but I was still happy to see them perform with Alicia.


Lifetime Achievement award goes to Reverend Al Green. Which is wonderful! Who doesn't love them some Al Green? I have an old soul and his music has always been up there in my music of choice.



I almost fell out my seat when I saw Maxwell enter the stage! Man still looks and sounds good too! He has been keeping us waiting for too long; where is the album Maxwell?! He sang one of my favorite Al Green songs; Simply Beautiful. He sang the best out of Jill Scott and Anthony Hamilton in my opinion. I love Jill Scott, but I'm not sure what she was doing up there last night. I was disappointed with her performance. Anthony Hamilton did good though; with his little country self. Didn't top Maxwell though. He knew he was missed too. Did he have to throw the Mic in the audience though? I hope no one got clocked upside the head. He'll be gone for another 5 years.


Then comes Mr. Al Green, Mr. "Let me do the sangin'" and I wasn't mad at him. The entire place was on their feet; with no ass left in the seat. Hell; I wasn't in my seat at home. Young and old. That's what I'm talking about. Everybody was grooving. His music just brings all black folks together. When an Al Green song comes through the speakers; let the 2 stepping begin! He deserved the Lifetime Achievement award. Go Al!


So Lil' Wayne closed it out last night. He did win an award; which was also expected of him. He tore it up on stage and performed everyone's favorite songs. He had the ghetto Tin Man, T-Pain sporting a "T-Wayne" shirt on. Not sure what that was about, but they still did a good job. So Lil' Wayne is hip-hop's savior huh? He has stressed time and time again that as long as he's here; hip-hop ain't dead. I have mixed emotions on that, because there are too many REAL hip-hop artists that are slept on and have been for years. I'm not hating on Wayne though, because he's actually been in my CD player all week. Nobody has proved him wrong though, so shine on Weezy Wee.

So all in all; I enjoyed the awards and I actually watched it all the way through. I don't think I've ever done so before. 2007 was an okay year in music. All artist that won an award; deserved it.
Labels: | edit post
3 Responses
  1. usher was a mess---zzzzzzzzzzz!

    al green was hot, even tho he was struggling a little vocally

    dl hughley bored me to tears...didn't laugh once at him

    chris brown is such a cutie...even my mom was like...is that chris brown-lol!!

    t-pain...is a pain on my ears and eyes


  2. Lol I am glad I wasn't the only one who shared in these thoughts.


  3. Mizrepresent Says:

    Missed Usher

    Maxwell was UMMMMM, UMMMM Good!

    Loved the Al Green show and A Keyes with En Vogue and TLC the best.

    Rihanna was cute, but i don't care too much for the song.

    The rest was a blur.


Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • The Lovies

    Love, Relationships, Lust & Sex

    Love, Relationships, Lust & Sex
    Check out my 2nd Blog. (Click the pic)