Virtue
I took a vacation day yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I didn't go to that wack ass family reunion, because I knew people wouldn't do right or know how to act. I got the "t" from my mama early this morning about what all went down. Needless to say, she's not going back to another reunion again, loll. Ahhhh, gotta love family right. Right.

So anyway, I had lunch with a good friend yesterday and I realized how much I miss just sitting down and talking with my buddy one on one. Every time we see one another; we're either surrounded by a bunch of our friends or in a club setting. We rarely ever take time to ourselves and just hang out. She caught me up on a lot of stuff that is going on in her life, as well as I. We spoke about the greatest qualities that people we know have. We also talked about the qualities that we are trying to uphold and live by. So today's quote is about none other than virtues.

"Virtue depends partly upon training and partly upon practice; you must learn first, and then strengthen your learning by action. If this be true, not only do the doctrines of wisdom help us but the precepts also, which check and banish our emotions by a sort of official decree."
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca (Seneca the Younger), "Letters to Lucilius - On the value of advice (Epistle XCIV)"

Our most life altering changes are never done overnight. They do take time and hardwork. Sometimes it even takes a little pain. In my eyes, the more pain we go through, the better the outcome in the future. They say practice makes perfect, or something damn close to it. I think we all have visions of becoming a better person or strengthening attributes in our personal character, but do we really follow through with everything that we say? I know I don't. I'm quick to say, hey well "if this or that person can't handle the way that I am, screw em!" Okay, soooo I STILL FEEL THAT WAY, lol. However, I do know that there are things that can be done to better myself. Things that can be done to eliminate some of the personality clashes that I have with people.

Regina and I also talked about lowering our standards just so certain people can breathe in our world. I don't agree with this. I don't think that anyone should lower their standards for anyone else. Reason being that nobody is going to do the same for you. Trust me. Some of us break our necks to change ourselves for other people that really won't appreciate it anyway. Fact of the matter is that they'll never be satisfied regardless of what we do. They won't see the changes until it is too late. Then again, I guess it does make us a better person for the next person right? Right.

Lately I've been writing down my more personal feelings and indepth feelings on the current love in my life in my other blog. It'tough for me dealing with this love thing man. The person in my life has proven to be one of the biggest obstacles I've faced in a long time. She's teaching the meaning of a true virture that takes practice and training. Lord help me! lol.
1 Response
  1. What you said got me thinkin...

    Am I who I wanna be for me? Or am I the person someone else wants me to be?

    I can't make up my mind, but I do know that what I value has been pushed aside to satisfy someone else. Well maybe not pushed aside but put on the back burner.

    And I only say this becuase what I valued is hardwork and honesty...something that comes as a rarity in my relationship.

    Funny how it takes listening to another person's vision quest to make you start your own.

    Thanks for initiating my quest, hun.

    I'll let you know what I find on my internal journey of virtue.


Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • The Lovies

    Love, Relationships, Lust & Sex

    Love, Relationships, Lust & Sex
    Check out my 2nd Blog. (Click the pic)