Soul Men - T. Nicole's Movie Review
Yesterday my sister ended up flaking on me for our weekly trip out to the parents house. So I rode solo, and decided to take myself to a Sunday matinee with the old white folks in the suburbs/country. I can tell I am getting old, because I am starting to live for those Sunday matinees. No longer can I stand going to a movie on opening night. Ugh! Anyway, I decided to check out Soul Men. Needless to say I was the ONLY one in the screening. Felt kind of weird being in there all by myself, but it was nice. About 30 minutes into the movie, this black lady and her 3 kids came in there, and decided to sit RIGHT next to me as if it were a full house. I was like wtf?! It's an empty theatre, and you sit your loud, snotty nose kids right by me?! The movie was rated R, and I hadn't noticed before they came in, but as soon as they sat down; Bernie and Samuel were, "muthafucka this and muthafucka that". I believe after the mom heard me taking deep breaths every time her kids spoke loudly, she decided to get up and move. Dumbass, shouldn't have set there in the first place. ANYWAY, Soul Men, starring the late Bernie Mac. Here is what I thought…






Cast

Bernie Mac


Samuel L. Jackson


Sharon Leal



Issac Hayes


Plot

Though it's been some twenty years since they have spoken with one another, two estranged soul-singing legends agree to participate in a reunion performance at the Apollo Theater to honor their recently deceased band leader.

Trailer








I can't lie and say I was actually interested in this movie. I really wanted to see Bernie Mac and Issac Hayes last works. I felt the concept of the movie was a bit cheesy for Samuel and Bernie. It was funny nonetheless, because I love the way these men curse. I know that's bad, but every time the word "muthafucka" was said, I was cracking up.




I did like the songs in the movie, and am thinking about buying the soundtrack. I heard it was banging. After I got over the polyester suits with ruffles, and Samuel's perm, I started to get more into the movie.






I did cry during a scene with Bernie and Issac. It wasn't a sad scene, just the fact that they are no longer with us touched me a tad bit. Rest in peace to both of those brothas, because they have truly enteretained us over the years. Needless to say, the film was dedicated to both of them, and I enjoyed the mini tribute that was done in the outakes during the ending credits.



T.Nicole rates this film with 3 stars!!!

Labels: | edit post
0 Responses
Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • The Lovies

    Love, Relationships, Lust & Sex

    Love, Relationships, Lust & Sex
    Check out my 2nd Blog. (Click the pic)