Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!
Well, I hope everyone had a splendid weekend. I'm not sure about other cities, but it was rather cold out here in Houston. We Texans are not use to cold weather this soon in November. I really enjoyed my weekend. We had our first meeting with The Black Experience group. It wasn't a good turnout, but it was a great success. It ended up only being four of us, but the conversation that we had was mind blowing to say the least. I surprised myself at how much I spoke my mind, and laid out personal facts from my past. Even my best friend had to look twice at me, to see it was actually me speaking. It takes a while for me to warm up to new people, and I do NOT talk much during a first encounter. I have to feel out the scene, and dissect the people before I speak. Something felt different this time. I felt like I needed to say something. I was at liberty to say something. My pride wouldn't allow me NOT to say something.


"It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace --but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have?

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"

- Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775



I mentioned Friday that the meeting was held at The Shrine of Black Madonna, and in one of the big meeting rooms there was an African Holocaust Exhibit. We didn't even know that it was there, we just happened to be roaming around, and we heard this music playing. It was soft, sad and sultry. It sort of pulled us into that direction.



**horrible photos, I know. Taken from my Sidekick ;[**


One of the things we spoke about in the meeting was black people and our pride. I mentioned that I feel that black people have pride in the wrong things. We have pride in our rides, our big homes, our flashy jewelry, and all things adding up to great material value, but we seem to have no pride in our history. Part of the reason why we opted to have this meeting and call it The Black Experience, was to get more in touch with our past. Our individual pasts. How did we get to where we are today? Do we truly understand where we came from? Perhaps if we confirmed and understood our past we could develop some real pride to hold on to.





".. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"

I wonder what the exact number is of the people who died for freedom. Died for speaking their mind. Died for the safety of their family. Died for the compensation they earned. Died for their last name. Died for the color of their skin. Do you have pride in those who have died for your freedom? I do, because as I strolled through that exhibit I realized just how far we've come, but also how far we still have to go. I couldn't even imagine living back in those times. I couldn't imagine being caged for days on end, because I tried to shield my children from pain. I couldn't imagine being shackled by the feet, neck and hands while red ants were poured at my feet to eat me alive. It was those same men and women who dies these horrible deaths that had pride in something more deep than one could imagine. It were these same men and women who said, "give me liberty, or give me death!"

1 Response
  1. ughhh, i sure wish i could have came to this.

    100% agreed. I dont understand how black people can hold material things on such a high pedestal it kind of reminds me of this production i performed in last semester Everyman...(great morality play by the way)

    None of that stuff is going with us when we die. (morbid but true)

    *Sigh* like i said i really wish i coulda came to that ...Ciao!


Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • The Lovies

    Love, Relationships, Lust & Sex

    Love, Relationships, Lust & Sex
    Check out my 2nd Blog. (Click the pic)