The Aftermath
Man this has been one hell of a weekend. The longest and worse weekend of my life. I just want to thank God that I still have my family all accounted for. Everyone, except my sister that is. However, all of the cellphones out here are pretty much messed up. "All circuits are busy." I know every one's experience through this while thing is different and on different levels of extremity. Right now I'm safely at my parents house in Richmond, Texas and am able to tell my story.
All last week I had been hearing the news about Ike forming in the Gulf and had been getting emails at work with hurricane survival information. Like most people, I thought that it wouldn't be that much of a storm being that the first two were a hit and miss. So I just kept on working, anticipating my vacation starting on Monday. Thursday, the news didn't die down. Ike was definitely coming straight for my city. A few people in my office live in Galveston and La Porte right off the coast; directly in the eye of the storm. So people start to panic and business start to close down. My office officially closed Thursday at 1:00pm. I also got a message from Comcast on my phone stating that the call center would be closed until further notice.

All Friday was pretty gloomy outside. I went to get some breakfast that morning and all the stores were taking down their signs and boarding their buildings up. The storm was not to hit until 1:00am that morning and the city was getting ready. As ready as it could get. Galveston was completely evacuated; all except for a few stragglers. I honestly didn't' anticipate anything other than heavy winds and heavy rains. Nothing major. Boy was I wrong.

Friday night came and the wind was whistling outside my apartment windows. The trees were blowing so hard they were totally bent all the way back. By the time 1am hit, things were blowing every which-a-way. The power was completely out by then and we were left to nothing but the loud sounds of the storm. It seemed like it would never end. I heard part of the newly constructed building coming apart and smashing on people's cars. I had my car under the port, so thank God nothing hit it. I hard glass breaking and children screaming. I HATED IKE. I'm pretty sure everyone else did as well. Here are a few pictures of the damage done...


The storm surge in Galveston was 18-20 feet. You could just imagine how under water the city of Galveston is. People's homes are completely washed away. It will take years to rebuild the city.


This is a grocery store out here in Houston. Most of the buildings looked like this once the storm was done.



There was not a billboard in tact either. The freeways were covered in pieces of billboards; which resulted in the major freeways shutting down until Sunday.

Some white dude being lifted by the winds in Galveston. I thought it was pretty senseless to be doing this when he should've been evacuating. I hope he was found later.



Most of the city was in high water status. Some places more severe than others. I was stuck inside my apartment until Sunday. There was no way anyone could have travelled the roads after that.

Saturday was miserable. My cellphone battery was completely dead and I had very little food. The power was out and so was the water. It was steaming hot and the neighborhood was trashed. The complex was gloomy and pitch black once night fall came. Saturday night brought more heavy rains that lasted all night long. Sunday I woke up to more rain. I packed a back Sunday afternoon and made a 2 hour trip to my parents house that normally take 30 minutes. The roads were hazardous and cluttered with debris and flooded with rain water. I got to my parents house around 4:00 and they were sitting in the living room with their feet up drinking cappuchinos. I was too through. I was shaking, hungry, thirsty and hot! And they were parlaying! WITH POWER and steaks on the grill!! I guess it pays to live way out with the white folks in the gated community. Ugh! Uppity asses.

So needless to say, I stayed at my parents house all week. I was on vacation from work and I still enjoyed myself even though I didn't and couldn't go anywhere. Houston at that time had a curfew of 9:00pm. I went back to work on Friday and still did not have any electricity in my apartment. In fact the electricity was off for 9 days. The city was and still is black. The gas stations were horrible. Here are a couple pics from a crowded Chevron station I was at. Spent an hour and fifteen minutes trying to get gas...






I'm thankful that my family and friends are all okay. A lot of them are still without power, but they have their homes in tact and they are in good health and all accounted for. We are blessed and thankful for it. The city is still in a great deal of turmoil, but as the days pass; it's all getting better. I do pray for all the families that were effected by Hurricane Ike. I took the storm for another flop, but the next hurricane I will not sleep and be much more prepared for.

My blogging will hopefully start back up. I missed you guys.

2 Responses
  1. I HAVE SOME LOVED ONES THAT LIVE IN HOUSTON AND I ALMOST HAD A CORONARY WHEN I COULDN'T REACH THEM FOR A WEEK. WHEN I FINALLY GOT IN CONTACT THEY TOLD ME THEIR UTLITIES WERE OUT BUT THEY WERE SAFE AND I WAS SO RELIEVED. THEN WE GOT SOME OF THE SIDE AFFECTS OF THE STORM INCLUDING GAS SHORTAGE! AIN'T THAT A BITCH! GLAD YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES ARE WELL...



Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • The Lovies

    Love, Relationships, Lust & Sex

    Love, Relationships, Lust & Sex
    Check out my 2nd Blog. (Click the pic)